If you are interested in being supervised by me, please get in touch by email or phone: firstname.lastname@example.org. My field of expertise lies in the field Science, Technology, and Culture (=STC). This includes research into the history of science of technology from a global perspective, the history of museum collections and research into the impact of the rising use of computational methods on our understanding of culture. Here is a list of projects, which I am currently supervising and which I have supervised in the past:
On PhD level:
- P. van Wingerden (external PhD candidate, together with prof. F. van Lunteren, VU and U Leiden): Science, Natural History and the Dutch empire in the first half of the nineteenth century (in progress since mid-2017).
On MA level:
- B. Klijnen (U Twente Philosophy of Science, Technology and Society MA programme, first reader and supervisor MA thesis on money in a digital age (ongoing).
- H. Kamst (U Twente Philosophy of Science, Technology and Society MA programme, second reader, MA thesis titled: The Cooperative City: a Participatory Framework for Using Technology in the City and Beyond ( successfully defended in September 2019).
- A. Caceres (U Leiden), development & supervision of internship (= 2 1/2 months) at Brill publishers, Leiden. Aim of internship was to explore the possibilities of MONK particular in the context of the digitized interrogations of the Prize papers and other digitized handwritten archives, together with M. Huetink from Brill publishers, Leiden, and prof. Lambert Schomaker, Groningen University.
- D. Hofstee (U Twente, Philosophy of Science, Technology and Society MA programme, main supervisor, MA thesis tield: Interfacing bodies: representing the human body in designing digital health tracking apps (successfully defended in August 2019).
- S. Valenzuela Hernandes (U Twente, Philosophy of Science, Technology and Society MA programme, second reader, 2018), MA thesis title: Pedagogy of the digitally oppressed: An analysis of e-learning from a philosophy of technology perspective (successfully completed, August 2018).
- K. Nieuwendijk (U Leiden, MA History, supervisor and second reader, 2011), MA thesis title: Met Van Oort naar verre oorden (successfully completed in 2011).
- Ch. Zhang (U Leiden, MA History, supervisor and second reader, 2011), MA thesis title: The Dependency and Autonomy of Art in Natural History: Pieter van Oort (1804-1834) and the Natuurkundige Commissie voor Nederlands Indië (1820-1850) in the Dutch East Indies (successfully completed in 2011).
On BA level:
- B. Mamangkey (U Twente, BA, ATLAS programme, personal pursuit (6 ECTS), supervisor, 2018), working title: Examining the societal effect of the Dutch colonial era on present day Indonesia (successfully completed in July 2018).
- K. Lehmann (U Twente, BA, European Studies, thesis, second reader, 2013), The importance of historical connections between Turkey and Europe during the period of the late Ottoman Empire (successfully completed in 2013).
- M.J. van Oort (U Twente, BA thesis, European Studies, second reader, 2013), De Nederlandsche Handelsmaatschappij op het wereldtoneel (successfully completed in 2013)
- W. Dianisari (U Leiden, BA thesis, Encompass program, second reader, 2008), Knowledge transfer in the context of botanical investigations: A history of chincona in Java in the 19th century (successfully completed in 2008).