I have studied history and German language and literature (‘Germanistik’) at the Universities of Leiden (MA History, 2005, cum laude) in The Netherlands and Bamberg (1. Staatsexamen, 2006) in Germany. In 2012, I received my PhD from Leiden University. Since then, I have hold postdoc positions at the University of Twente (2012-2015) and the Chemical Heritage Foundation in Philadelphia (2015-2016). In 2016, I returned to the University of Twente to work as researcher on the project Making Sense of Handwritten Illustrated Archives (2016-2020). Since August 2017, I am a tenured assistant professor for the long-term development of science and technology in society and digital heritage at the University of Twente.
Research grants and projects:
- 2018-2019: NWO Kiem: Eventscapes: Providing Spatio-Temporal Access to the Prize Papers (lead researcher: Menno-Jan Kraak, ITC Twente, other partners: Huygens-ING, Brill Publishers, Leiden)
- 2017: Collective grant for the organization of the international symposium ‘Managing Alliances: Plant Science at Bogor Botanical Gardens, 1817-2017’. The sponsors were: Hortus Botanicus Leiden, Descartes Centre for the History and Philosophy of the Sciences in Utrecht, Leiden Asia Year, and the Royal Institute of Southeast Asian Studies and Caribbean Studies (KITLV) in Leiden.
- 2016-2019: Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (Project: Making Sense of Handwritten Illustrated Archives, lead researcher: prof. H.J. van den Herik)
- 2016-2019: Brill Publishers, Leiden (2016-2019: Co-sponsor of Making Sense of Handwritten Illustrated Archives, lead researcher: prof. H.J. van den Herik)
- 2015-2016: Chemical Heritage Foundation in Philadelphia, John C. Haas Postdoctoral Fellowship (9 months).
- 2014: Travel grant to participate in the Global History of Chemistry Conference at the Chemical Heritage Foundation in Philadelphia.
- 2012-2015: Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (Project: Chemistry in Everyday Life, lead researcher: prof. L.L. Roberts)
- 2011: Writing-up fellowship by the Gratama Foundation
- 2008: Grant for the organization of a workshop by the Leiden University Fund
- 2008: Travel grant for the Three Societies Meeting in Oxford by the Leiden University Fund
- 2007-2010: Full PhD fellowship by the German National Academic Foundation
- 2004-2006: Full student scholarship by the German National Academic Foundation
- 2004: Stipend for the acquisition of books by Oskar-Karl-Forster Foundation (University of Bamberg)
- 2018- : Member of the editorial board of the international journal Itinerario.
- 2017- : Co-editor of the book series Emergence of Natural History (ENH).
- 2012-2018: History of Chemistry Groep (CHG) of the Royal Netherlands Chemical Society (KNCV).
- 2018- : Linschoten-Vereeniging, Member of the board
As a service to the profession, I am regularly reviewing journal articles (e.g. Journal of Global History, Isis, Entertainment Computing, Blumea – Biodiversity, Evolution, and Biogeography of Plants, Endeavour, Neerlandica Wratislaviensia, BMGN – Low Countries Historical Review), book proposals for national and international publishers (e.g. Palgrave Macmillan, Leiden University Press, Linschoten-Vereeniging), research proposals for different funding bodies (e.g. National Science Foundation, NSF) and contributions to peer-reviewed international conferences.
I am participating in the following international networks:
- History of Science Society (HSS)
- The European Association for Digital Humanities (EADH)
- Research network: Situating Chemistry, 1760-1840
- European Working Party on the History of Chemistry (EuCheMS)
- Society for the History of Alchemy and Chemistry (SHAC)
- Gesellschaft für Überseegeschichte (GüsG)